Wednesday, October 21, 2009

~LIFE IN THE OR~

Wednesday's are my plastic's days in the O.R. Today was no exception I had O.R. 4 with Dr. "Tardy". A gifted surgeon but quiet unaware of time or schedules...Today it was decided (without my knowledge) to start his surgery 1 and 1/2 hours late because that is when he normally shows up. I of coarse was there at 0600 setting up the room, pulling out all the equipment for the day and drawing up all the medications for a 0700 start! I knew that Dr. "Tardy" would be well, tardy, he always is but, we just deal with it. Everyone but me came in at 0800. Today, he was there before the patient and his crew...fuming, wondering why everybody wasn't ready to go!!! I wonder if he will be on time in the future or if he will just be that much more determined to show all of us that he really doesn't care that we are all sitting around waiting for him. He sure didn't like waiting for us so maybe he will be a little more considerate...Doctors! I have to say that many, many of our docs are great. They show up on time and are kind and so very easy to work with. It makes what I do at times quite pleasant.

Things are starting to come together for me in the" back". I am still not sure that I like it but, I still have a lot to learn. Learning it is a lot of trial and error and practice, practice, practice! I will get it and I can tell you right now that one day I will be very good at what I do. It's just how I am. I hate that I am the one that the doctors don't really want in the room right now because I am new and don't anticipate their every move or read their minds yet. But, one day, they are going to be begging for me! When that day comes, I might just have to ask for a very large raise after all, "mind reading" is in high demand!


1 comment:

Shauna said...

I'm with you here too! I have two brothers that are doctors and hopefully they aren't as inconsiderate as MOST of them!