Thursday, February 5, 2009

Children of the Masai Mara, Africa

The Children in the green sweaters, skirts and shorts are the school age children. They wear uniforms to school. It is so cute to see them all lined up waiting for the bus. They wave and smile as you go by. They always ask you for candy! There were signs in all our jeeps that said: "Please don't give the children candy, they do not have access to dental care with anesthesia"... I couldn't help but notice the runny noses on all of the smaller children. The mortality rate is very high in this tribe. Maybe as they receive more education they will be able to accept a better way of life or at least nutrition for their children in the future!

The little boy in the green sweater was actually flipping me off when I first went to take his picture! I had to explain to him that if he wanted me to take his picture he would have to wave in a more appropriate manner...that is why it looks a bit practiced. They learn what people teach them. SAD! He had no idea what the gesture meant but, someone had shown him and he wanted to show me! He thought it was "U.S.A." Nice, very nice... Another interesting thing that was heard over there was instead of the usual "jambo" or "hello" everyone said, ( if you were mazuga, " white face") "OBAMA" to you. I thought that was ridiculously funny. It was almost like Obama had been elected president of Kenya also!




1 comment:

Nancy said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time in Africa. Personally, I'm just glad you made it back in one piece! Thank you for sharing.
Love ya lots,
Nance