Thursday, February 5, 2009

IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH CLOSE YOUR EYES AND KEEP SCROLLING!








Okay, this post is not for the faint! Sorry, I should have warned you!!! I have had many of you ask to see some pictures of the actual surgeries that we did in Africa The pictures are graphic so I am sorry if they freak some of you out but, this is what I do...This is Jackson. He is a 26 year old young man who was hit by a car on the streets of Kakamega. As you can see by the X-Ray he has a broken Femur and an open Tib/Fib fracture...for you that are not medical that means that the bone is coming through the skin! you can see that in the pictures. Pam, my sister-in-law is the nurse in the pictures ( I am the photographer...yea). She is trying to hold an unstable thigh while prepping a lower leg for surgery. It is hard work. She is AWESOME! I have to put the camera down in a few minutes to help her but boy, did I have fun snapping pictures for awhile! The top two pictures show the external fixator that was placed to put the bone back together and hold it in place while it heals. Jackson will be up and walking around again in about 4-6 weeks without help! If we had not been there he would most likely still be in the hospital in traction sharing a small cot with another patient. His leg may not have ever healed to the point of being able to hold his weight again. The first thing he said when he was awake enough to speak was "asante, asante sana. (Thank you, thank you very much).

No comments: