Wednesday, February 18, 2009

THANK YOU KAREN AND CAL !!!







I had just walked through the door from work today when the phone rang. It was my cousin Karen from Idaho. She was on her way home with her husband Cal from visiting her brother Barry in Las Vegas. She asked me if I was going to be home for a little while because they wanted to stop by and give me a book that Barry had given to her to give to me! It is a book that both of my parents had in high school. My dad must have had it first because he boldly put his name on the front cover in INK! It is written twice! At the top it says: Pvt. Robert M. Clark and then down a little bit farther it says: Hans Clark, complete with umlauts over the "a" which my brother Matt says is really not right because umlauts don't really go over an "a" but, it does show everyone that he was after all a "Proud German Boy". Upon opening it you can see that my mom probably a year later when she had a crush on my dad...used the same book, wrote her name inside ( showing much more respect for the book) and then in her hand writing wrote my dads name in it too! How cute!! My favorite part is in the back. When I was thumbing through the book I found out how my mom really felt about the book! "In case of fire---throw in this book"... So like her! How I miss my mom.

Just a note: Karen died on August 13, 2009 of lung cancer. She quietly slipped away from us which was just how she would have wanted it. She lived her life, with quiet dignity. Love you Karen.

2 comments:

Cambria said...

That's so cool mom I can't wait to see it tomorrow

Stephanie said...

How I miss your mom too. I love this. It makes me cry.