Thursday, December 31, 2009

~WISDOM TEETH AT MY AGE~

I hate going to the dentist...It isn't so much that is scares me. It is more about having to sit in a small room with no way to escape and stuff in my mouth making me feel like I can't breath or I am going to choke! I was scheduled to have my last two wisdom teeth (for lack of a better word), "YANKED". Now you might be asking yourself why I did not have this done years ago when most people would have had them taken out...Well, I was only blessed with three of them so, I was shorted on the "wisdom" part of things to begin with....But, it was decided for me by my dentist way back when, that I actually needed those last two wisdom teeth until well... Now! I know, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either but, then again I am not a dentist! I was told last week that it would be a rather "simple" procedure involving a couple of rather painless injections of lidocaine...(Is there such a thing as a painless injection...I think not). I was also told that there was really no reason for any of the "big" anesthesia sort of stuff..."Easy" the Dr. told me, they would come right out and I could pretty much do what I wanted for New Years Eve. At this point I should tell you, I really have a problem going to the dentist. I get all kinds of anxious. My palms start to sweat before I even walk through the door. On the ride over to her office my stomach was doing somersaults and I had this dooms day feeling which I think is probably just a normal part of going to the dentist for some of us!

I walked in and the cheery little receptionist greeted me with a friendly hello and had me fill out paper work which basically said that I wouldn't sue them if anything went awry and then tells me how much it will be...( About this time I'm thinking that the tooth fairy is in the wrong business. She should defiantly be taking them out not picking them up! ). Then an even sweeter dental assistant comes out to usher me back to what I have come to refer to as the torture chamber. I look around quickly for an escape route knowing that my claustrophobia will get the better of me if I can't see a way out. I sit tentatively down into the over elaborate lawn chair which I lovingly refer to as "Old Sparky", and wait for the next bright and cheery person to walk into the room. Overly friendly dental assistant hooks me up with a TV on the ceiling and that cute little bib and chain then in walks the dentist! After a couple of formalities she informs me that we need to get me numb and pulls out her equipment...A very large needle! I'm thinking...where's the little Q-tip with the stuff on it that makes it so you don't feel the shot so much...Yikes! After the "BIG" ones in the back upper and lower part of my mouth she says to me..."Now I need to give you a shot in the roof of you mouth. I hurts but it is over with real fast, are you ready? What do I say to that?... NO, I am not ready, NO, I hate those shots, NO, are you kidding...NO, NO, NO! Dang, that hurt! The roof of your mouth is just not a place for a needle.

Completely numb now, it is time to get started. Overly friendly dental assistant extraordinaire on one side, dentist on the other and rather daunting instruments that I am all too familiar with in plain sight. Bite block in and off we go...Oops! Tooth broke. All four roots still in jaw... dig, dig, dig. More lidocaine. More digging, drilling started. Lips stretched beyond...well, new nickname could possibly be the "Riddler". I'm nearly drowning in the water at the back of my throat that dental assistant extraordinaire is NOT seeing...Dentist asks for surgical instruments... I'm starting to shake... Someone brings a blanket and puts it over me...I feel better...warmer...I keep looking for that opportunity to make a quick exit out my escape route...am I dreaming...did they slip me something in that last shot...one hour later tooth is finally out in 7 pieces!

Tooth #2...Had to start out with a second shot to the roof of my mouth because the first one had worn off...AWESOME!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

I FEEL your PAIN! I had to have a tooth pulled a month or so ago, and you're right ... I HATE my dentist too! Don't they know we all "get" what their "niceness" REALLY means!?!
Feel better soon.

Chris said...

Oh, you are awesome!!!I am so thankful for you in my life...You're truly my best friend. Thank you for all you do and who you are. Thank you so much for showing up today, I can't believe you would do that for us.
Hope you get feeling better soon...I do know that "It does get better"!
Love you, Chris

zac, kami & zion said...

OUCH! I'm sorry Joey. Sounds like it wasn't as simple as they had you tricked into believing. I hope you get feeling better real soon.

Stephanie said...

You are so much more lady-like in your descriptions than I would have been...not fun! I hope you're feeling better though- I hate the dentist.

Cambria said...

oh I love that laughing gas- seriously whenever I go to the dentist I LOVE that stuff... makes me a giggly and tingly and... hahha I LOVE IT