Tuesday, May 5, 2009

~BUTTERFLIES~



I went running/climbing last night and as you know I love this time of year and my running trail...I have mentioned that right? With all of the wild flowers that are starting to bloom come many other critters as well but, one of my favorites is the butterfly. I think that I love it so much because I know that it can't hurt me! About 3 years ago I had the awesome privilege of meeting a man who changed my life in a giant way. At 49 he was dying of cancer and only had a few very short months left to live. In those too few months he made me realize what was important and what wasn't, what things needed attention and what didn't, what battles to wage and which ones to bow out of. He saw things from a perspective that those of us who are not close to leaving this earth can not even begin to understand. The effect his words and his wisdom had on me will remain forever. What a beautiful person he was and I am sure still is. After he died I remember running my trail each day thinking about how in such a short time this man had touched my life in so many different ways. As I would run I would notice each day butterflies, the big yellow ones. Perhaps they were always there and I just never noticed... Now it seems to me that their mission is not just to pollinate the flowers but, to possibly remind me that life is so very short, and our blessings aren't always placed in the easy to get to areas of our lives. So, we happen to "bump" into those special people... If we are lucky more than one! It sometimes takes an effort on our part to make that connection but if we do we will find that they will help us gather our "missing parts" they'll fix us up a bit and put us back on our way to where ever it is we are headed...If we are lucky maybe, just maybe, we will all end up where I know people like him have to be...

It was spring then as it is now and each day from May through July and into August...butterflies. Each and every year it has been the same as I trudge up the canyon I am greeted by the big yellow butterflies. I am always glad I go. Yesterday I saw my first yellow butterflies...it's almost like they are saying to me..."Don't forget me. I'm still here and I will
always be your friend...Got anything ya need to talk about"?

3 comments:

Cambria said...

oh mommy- I like this post, a lot! kinda made me cry but that could be due in part to the birth control- but seriously one of my all time favorites
I LOVE YOU

Stephanie said...

I can totally see you out there talking to butterflies. (Sorry, couldn't let that one go...) one of my favorites also mom...like I said before, you have a way with words!

Justin Matott said...

A wonderful post. As a runner I relate and reminders are always under our noses of what is truly important. Mine is the meadowlark (reminding me of mom) and upon hearing his or her song each spring there are reminders of what is good in the world! I am glad I found your blog. It made my morning, now off for a fun run on a sunny Colorado morning! Thank you.