Sunday, May 10, 2009

~ELDER AND SISTER STUTZ~

I finally figured out how to crop and export this picture so that I could actually post it! I am so proud of myself I could burst! Computers have never been one of my strong points...Many of you know that while I was in Africa working at the hospital the missionaries came to visit. What was absolutely astonishing was the fact that they are my COUSINS! As they walked in and I read "Elder and Sister STUTZ" on their name tags I knew that there had to be a connection somewhere. There just aren't that many "Stutz's in the world that would be on a mission for the church and would not be somehow related to my family. Sure enough...we have the same aunt and uncle in Provo. What a small world. I told them that I had come all the way to Africa just to meet them! It made my day! Well actually it was one of the many highlights of my trip!

They were released just this April. They live in Washington state but, on Monday they are going to be here in UTAH and I am having lunch with them. How exciting it will be to catch up on all their mission/Africa experiences! I have so much appreciation for what they have been doing the last 18 months. I was only in Africa for a few weeks and it was very different and at times difficult. I am sure that you would get used to it after a while but honestly, there is just no place like your own home, your own bed, AND your own bathroom! It will be interesting to see if they feel that same "pull" as I do to return. ( maybe not quite yet) It's like Africa wraps her arms around you and holds you ever so gently... you never really want her to let you go. I heard a song once that puts it so eloquently and, I quote it often, it goes in part: "In a world full of strangers, I have a family of friends". That is in a large way how I feel about Africa. I am getting ready to go back again in November and I think that it will be for the last time. There are just so many other places I want to see but, Africa will always hold a special place in my heart and give me a lifetime of "magical" moments to ponder.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I agree with you that "it's a small world"! What a fun memory for you! Have fun at lunch!!! Some day I hope to witness the beauty of Africa!!! And Joey ... good job with your new computer skills!