Friday, October 21, 2011

~A LITTLE SEPHA-A LOT OF LOVE~

Sutherland, Utah
Sept. 26, 1929

Dearest Ward,

Once more I am writing to you. Are you getting tired of the same old thing? I sure could stand a few more from you.

Are you feeling better or are you kidding me? You see I am cynical again, but I am so worried. I sure will be glad when you are able to come home where we can see you and talk to you once in a while.

We are all well and very busy. I washed today. The girls have been cutting seed. Al and Norrah Erickson and Bro. Thornton helped them this afternoon. They will finish easily tomorrow forenoon if nothing happens.

The wind blew so hard that Mr. Thornton could not haul hay.

Your father and grandma Willis and Myrl came up and spent a couple of hours with me this afternoon. They are all better. They had been having a birthday dinner for Q. I didn't know his birthday was so near mine did you?

Archie Lewis was over today. He said Guy came down to Salina last night and told him you were in the hospital and as he was going to Holden he came on over. He sure is a fine old gent. He had another old man with him who fell for the girls. Both men commented on the girls taking things in hand so nicely.

Archie went out and looked over the seed. He laughed about it, but wondered why we couldn't get a real crop. Of course, we wonder that too.

Your father is quite emphatic in saying he thinks we ought to quit this place. Of course he doesn't realize the conditions. But really it would be nice if we could do something agreeable.

I am starting to stuff the two sows. George sold father's old sow but, I told him I wanted 3-4 little pigs so it will be just as well to fatten these for our nest. Don't you think?

The wind is still blowing and since sundown has turned off cold. No clouds so far. Maybe we will get a frost. We can't expect it to stay off much longer. As I sit here writing I wouldn't be surprised if we get an early winter.

I guess this is enough gossip for one time. I don't want to tire you altogether so you won't come home. But, maybe it will amuse you for a few minutes.

I will close for tonight. Maybe I can think of something else in the morning. With love by the car load and I don't mean a Ford.

I am you loving wife.

Sepha


Grandma was obviously getting frustrated but, the mail had to take some of the blame. By the time grandpa received one letter and tried to reply, grandma had written another...As you will see in this letter written to her dated Sept. 27.

L.D.S. Hospital
Sept. 27, 1929

Mrs. Sepha Robison
Sutherland

My Dear Wife and Family,

Your post card was rec'd yesterday and your letter came while I was eating soup. I was in hopes that I would be home for Sept. 27 but Dr. B.T.R. said this morning that it is a little too soon yet.

This is the second day I have been UP! Sneaked out of the hospital this morning. Went crost the street to the store...No one the wiser yet. I will try the same stunt this afternoon. I weigh 134 pounds this morning so you see that soup hasn't put much fat on my bones. I can't sleep nights but, daresent say anything. Fraid they will keep me here longer.

Let the bucks go but keep the date. (
I am not sure what a "date" is but that's what it says in the letter...If anyone knows please tell me. I am SO not a sheep person. It has to be the female, but I have never heard them called 'dates' before...).

And take care of yourself. Will let you know when I can get out.

With lots of love to you and the children I am forever your husband.

Ward


C
an you even imagine sneaking out of the hospital today? How funny is that!


No comments: