Friday, October 7, 2011

~A LITTLE SEPHA-A LOT OF LOVE~

Sutherland, Utah
Sept. 27, 1929

Dear Ward,
I received your letter this morning and it goes without saying that we were glad to hear from you. I have been worried and I am sorry you are not doing so well.

We are as well as can be expected with all this rainy weather. Makes my back ache, both literally and figuratively. Rained again last night, still cloudy but the clouds are shifty. It may clear, surely hope so.

It sure beats the Dutch how you can live on chocolate! Maybe you will learn to like it.

Dr. Wright was here Wednesday. He wanted to take Eleanor's tonsils out but, I told him we would wait for awhile. I have a sneaking idea that he wanted some money too. Delilah said he visited them for $5.00.

Marion finished the seed down home Saturday. Eleanor went to work for Lawrence Christensen. She liked it all right. Got $1.25 for her day's work.

Everybody advised us not to shock the oats last week. They said it could be hauled to the thrasher all right but, because of the storms I kept Lela out this morning and started them to shocking.

Mr. Thorston is here now unloading some wheat. He had 155 instead of 165. He tells me he sold 55 bushels for himself unloading 45 bushels in our granary and will sell the rest to settle the threshing. Perhaps there will be a few dollars for us over and above the bill.

Mr Craner was here just now after oats.

Marlan sold the calf yesterday for $15.00. It hasn't been doing too well the last week. Both Lawrence and Howard thought that was a pretty good price. We haven't been herding the sheep the last two days. The bucks got out Saturday night. We couldn't separate them yesterday. Shall I try again or let them go?

Lawrence has been very good. He and Josephine were here a little while last night .

George is going to thrash the rest of his seed. I don't know whether we can get the thrasher before you return or not.

The girls say the grain is drying fast. Shall I try and get the girls started to school or shall they remain home and help get the fall grain in. If I thrash, shall I get the drill and some fall wheat from Al and seed the 20 acres or can that wait a little longer?

Do you need anything from home? Let me know and I will try and get it to you.

Grandpa did not write back...This is obviously very frustrating for Grandma as you will see in the next letter. I also thought that it was interesting that they opted not to have Aunt Eleanor's tonsils taken out...She would later die at the age of 53 from complication of Rheumatic Fever as a young girl. Too many strep infections and too little knowledge. Just a little penicillin when Aunt Eleanor had her sore throats would have kept her from a heart condition that eventually took her life at such a young age.

Once again how priviledged we are to have the technology we have in our lives today.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

We take so much for granted I know! 53 years of life ..... so short!

Stephanie said...

Think if they only had OUR technology- who knows? It would blow their mind to be able to just "chat" online!