Saturday, September 17, 2011

~A LITTLE SEPHA-A LOT OF LOVE~

Sept 21, 1929

Dearest Ward,

I wrote you last night while the girls were at the hobo dance with McBeth's but, in our hurry this morning we missed the mail so I will write another letter and send it to town with Marlan.

I am so worried about you. Why don't I hear? Isn't there some one who could let me know something once in a while? I try to kid myself that no news is good news, but even that is poor consolation.

We are all well, as well as conditions permit.

Mr. Thornton treashed the wheat Thursday. He had 165 bushels, about 20 bushels more I estimated.

It rained Thursday night and intermittently all day day Friday. No frost last night, no rain today so far. Although we have cloudy weather and wind.

I guess we will threash the oats Monday the weather permitting. The sheep are uncontrollable when taking them to pasture. What about selling Mr.'s Cramer and O'Conner some oats? They spoke like you had partly promised them some each. I understand they want about 1000 lbs. O'Conner was just here and said that he would come again next week.

Marlan finished the seed down home. Eleanor is working out today. We are anxious to see how she likes it.

Your father and Grandma and my father spent nearly all day with us Thursday. Grandma is not very well but, she is planning a trip to Uintah next week. That is if they don't have to move Myrl there. From what Grandma said old Pan is pretty mean to Myrl and the Dr. ordered her to move to save her life. Myrl seems to have not come back. She gets up then gets worse.

$15.00 is all we can get for the calf. Shall we take it? 16 cents dressed. I guess Mr. Thornton will get after the hay as soon as it dries up again.

I think I'll keep the girls out another week. By that time you will be home with me. I'm not feeling too good, but I guess I'll hold out. (Remember she is 8 months pregnant).

Last night when the crowds were coming home from the dance three cars piled up out by Wind's. From what the girls say I don't see how they ever escaped. One car rolled completely over. Don't know who it was yet. Ruby was at the dance. She seems to have a bright and shining flame.

Father started south this morning to the reunion. He is very restless and unsettled. He wants to trade his old sow and 8 little pigs to me. We will see when you both return.

Write soon with lots of love.

Sepha and Kids


Salt Lake Butcher Shop (aka LDS Hospital Grandpa's humor again).
Sept. 23, 1929

Mrs. Sepha Robison

My Dear Wife and Family,

Your letter was rec'd and am glad the boys are getting all the hard work done. I am getting along fine but am weak and sore. Think I can talk Dr. B.T.R. out of a few days if I don't grumble about the soup. The swelling has been bad. The Dr. has been scared of blood poison, but that danger is over now. I am still wrapped in cotton with five hot water bottles from hips down.

Perry and Lorena just left. They are trying to get home before the storm.

About the calf. Sell it for whatever you can get. And let Cramer have some oats but, O'Conner can wait till I get home. Use your own judgment as to the conditions down there for I don't understand them now as you do.

There is lots I like to tell you, but I am laying on my back and am tired. So will close with all the love in the world to my wife and children. I am as ever your husband and father.

Ward.

Have the children write.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I have read and re-read these entries and talked with Aunt Mildred I have come to really wonder (being the nurse that I am) if Grandpa at this point didn't have colon cancer. In 1929 they had no way of knowing what colon cancer was let alone the obvious symptoms he was having. A few short years later he would die from another cancer...Could it have been a colon cancer (90% curable today) that metastasized? One can only make guesses and wonder how nice it would have been for our grandmother and their children to have been able to have THEIR husband and father in their lives a little longer...Technology is such a blessing.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Feeling like I know Sepha myself! Reading these sure does take you back in time.