Friday, September 9, 2011

~A LITTLE SEPHA-A LOT OF LOVE~

September 1929. Grandpa was in LDS hospital in Salt Lake City with what appeared to be a blood clot however, as I continue to post these letters you will find that this is just the beginning of his battles with health and hospital stays and grandma's battle to once again "survive" this difficult time. Grandma was overseeing the family at home in Sutherland. She was also pregnant with Choral #9 who was born on November 8.

Before posting this I wanted to talk to my Aunt Mildred the only surviving member of my mothers family to make sure that I had the birth order of all the sisters and brothers right. I LOVE talking to her and will make sure that I do it more often...Grandma's children in order:

Marion
Eleanor
Wayne (died shortly after birth)
Lela
Mildred
Ward
Betty Jo
Brooks
Choral
Sarah Ann (Sharon)
Alma

Dear Ward,

I just came back from Howard's and he told me you were feeling fine the last time he saw you. I surely hope that you are at least comfortable. I was terribly worried and I did not hear. The boys got home between 10-11 last night.

We are alright up to date. I got Marlan started in the seed yesterday. She cuts a little then uses the rake. It was against your wishes but we felt that under the conditions it would be better.

Frank Dickerson came after the calf but we wouldn't let it go for $15.00. Howard handed me your purse this morning. It contained $15.00. I will send you $10.00 and keep the $5.00. I may have threashers and I spent my money for peaches. I bought 5 bushels at $1.25 making $6.25. Then some bottle lids and that leaves me nearly broke.

Father came in Tuesday morning. He was awfully sorry he didn't know. He said if he had stopped he would have gone back with you. We received an invitation to the Abbott reunion but I sent our regrets yesterday. It is to be held Sept. 26,27,28.

Well, lover, I will close and go milk the cows. Will be glad when you can return.

With lots of love I am your loving wife.

Sepha

P.S. I loves daddy and want him to come home...Brooks
I love daddy and hope he is lots better...Betty


LDS Hospital
September 21, 1929

Mrs. Sepha Robison

My Dear Wife and family. Your letter was rec'd and was much pleased to get one letter. I am getting along as well as can be expected. Dr. Merrle and Dr. B.T. Richards was just here and said I would be very lucky if I get out in another ten days. I had a blood clot that has been bad. But yesterday I was wheeled back to the Top. So am wrapped in cotton. Tied in bed flat on my back. Nothing to eat but soup, soup, soup...They have gathered up all the old cow bones, horse bones, dog bones and even digging up the graveyard for bones o boil to feed fellers like me with a sore ____! I haven't seen a piece of bread since I came in. Three times a day my menu:
1 Glass of oil
3-6 gallons of soup
1 chocolate ice cream
*cup of chocolate
And with all that good stuff to eat haven't had a bowel movement yet...Seems to be important to them!

(Poor Grandpa, he's not going anywhere until he "goes").

Jimmie Gee just came in and he will post this letter.

I have counted all the nurses (150). Have counted 65 doctors. Mouse tracks on floor, 10,000. Fly specks on the ceiling 200,000. Can tell about a lot of stuff when I get home and that won't be many hours if I get my way. Don't worry about me. Take care of yourself. And look for the bright side of all conditions. So appreciate letters from home. Will chew off with lots of love to you and the children. I remain as ever your husband and father.

Ward.

P.S.
How are the elder boys getting along cutting seed? And are the sheep any easier to herd?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm thinking that Grandma was the serious one and Grandpa had to be reeled in most of the time...How I would have loved to have known them both!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

These are so cool!

Crayk's in Africa said...

Joey, these are awesome I love them too! Mom never told us much about her dad, except that she remembered him always being sick, so it's fun to hear his humor. We are still at the MTC, but finished the training part yesterday. Today was our P-day so we went to the Provo temple. I am ashamed to say that I never had a desire to go to this temple cuz I never liked the design, big mistake it was beautiful. Give my love to everyone, we fly out on Monday! xoxo. Diane