Saturday, March 5, 2011

~IF I COULD TALK TO THE ANIMALS~



My dad has often made the comment that I should have been a vet. Well, there are days when I wonder if he wasn't right. I have ignored my affection for animals for years since moving away from the farm but, I really do love the critters, all of them...Even horses. I know, I know, that may come as a big surprise to a lot of you but, I have decided to forgive my girlhood experiences with a balky, stubborn horse and realize that there are some very lovable, loyal horses out there. Not for me but still...One day in the not so far off future you may even find me a top one of them again! My dad would be SO proud!!! For the longest time I was convinced that animals just didn't smell good. I thought that everything in my life and my surroundings needed to smell like cleaning solutions and flower gardens. I have found that in my line of work there are things that smell so much worse than a dog...AND, you can give a dog a bath! Don't get me wrong, I am not crazy about animals in my house but, as I have gotten older even THAT doesn't bug me as much. My kids always wanted a dog, Steve always wanted a dog therefore we had a dog...Inside. I do on occasion drive everyone including myself nuts with the "cleaning" but, the dog is just another person in our family and the cat and the other dog and my son's dog...I have to say that the cat is gone now but she was here for 18 YEARS!!! We have gone through our share of fish, lizards, hamsters, tarantulas, caterpillars and other creepy-crawlies but, it's the dogs and cats that seem to live forever! Must be that I like them or why else would I put up with a paw in my back at 4:00 in the morning...Whining for food at 4:00 in the afternoon. BARKING every time the garage goes up or down. Wet muzzles and muddy feet. A constant companion, genuine affection, and a face that makes me giggle...

3 comments:

The Franjesevic Family said...

you animal lover you :o) Greg wants a dog when he graduates...they are just so messy sometimes I don't know if I can handle it haha...Is that your sharpei? did I spell that right? I love those dogs! They are so so adorable!

Shauna said...

A VET!!! Yes! That sounds right! Wrath and his "brothers" look so content! I'm careful to not EVER show Jon these posts!!!!!! :)

Stephanie said...

HA! Remember when you thought I was on drugs cause I put a lock on my bedroom door? And what was I hiding in there? NOT DRUGS...but a Boa Constrictor! Man- I had issues, but I think you would have rather had to deal with putting me in rehab than the fact that there was a snake in your house!