Thursday, January 27, 2011

~KAILUA, KONA~

There is nothing better than getting out of the cold for a couple of weeks and enjoying the tropical temperatures of the islands. One of my favorite spots in the whole world is Kona Hawaii. It's a crazy little place with an eclectic crowd that could care less where you are from or what you do. They just give you the thumb and little finger wave, a big smile and let you know that you are welcome in their part of paradise.

Mike, Ann, Steve and I have spent many vacations in this part of the world...Hopefully, many more to come. We have all of our favorite places to go but, seem to find a new place every trip to add to the list. Soon we are going to have to spend a month just doing all the things we love to do. Darn it!!!

As you can see by a couple of the pictures there was a day that was rather "gray". I loved it for pictures but, it was rather disappointing for the beach bums in our group! I just kept thinking that even the rain was warm!


We spent many afternoons in the sun and surf enjoying every moment of it. Steve and Ann are not REAL beach bums...Ann is a red head and after about 5 minutes in the sun she is burned but, she finds a tree with shade and has a good book, slathers on #50 sun screen and is happy as a clam! Steve is just a good sport, he will try anything...Once!
















It was "HIGH TIDE" and the waves were really only for the natives to be surfing on but, we tried, failed and tried again. I couldn't even stand up to get out to the big ones, the LITTLE ones were knocking me over. Kona beaches are not known for their sand, they are very rocky so, if you find one you can actually boogie board on it's heavenly!


The water is unbelievably blue and as you watch the waves come in you can see the whales just beyond them as they blow. There are Spinner Dolphins and all kinds of fish that jump clear out of the water (scary) not to mention the Sea Turtles. Such a magical place.



We went whale watching but I promise we were not fishing for whales...It sort of looks like we were in these pictures! We were fishing for a 5-600lb. Marlin. No, we didn't catch one but we had a lot of fun trying!

It is always hard to believe how fast our time goes by while we are there. Before we realize it we are packing our bags and heading for the airport thinking to ourselves...Where did the time go. I suppose that if you lived there it wouldn't be all that, but, I sure would like to visit every month or so during the coldest part of our winter each year wouldn't you!


My favorite part?

EVERYTHING!!!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! I think I need to go! The snapshot of Steve on the beach looking over his glasses .... well it's a classic! So happy you had a good time! Vacations really do go by way too fast! Welcome home!

Caldwell Family 6 said...

I love the picture of Steve as well. You are just missing one of you... It looks GLORIOUS. Sigh. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a tad bit jealous. Tis' not my season I guess. Next year maybe??? Baby almost one, sounds like leaving time to me. I love your pictures and I am glad that you guys were able to get away for a while out of the cold. I think it helps get through the winter. LoR

Cambria said...

aw I wanna go so bad- we need to do another girls trip one of these days... or better yet the whole FAM-DAM-ILY it would be so much fun!

* Gar * Lis * Charly * said...

JOEY! Where's a pic of you????? COME ON! ha ha glad you had fun!

Chris said...

Beautiful Beautiful pictures!!! I am so jealous. But I am also glad that you got 2 weeks away from work, you needed a break. I am with Cambria...lets do a girls trip sometime!