Saturday, March 20, 2010

~ WINTER - SPRING ~

Making changes can be rejuvenating for the mind, body and soul. It can make you feel good again in a different sort of way. Give you a new perspective. I think this is one reason I love living in Utah. I absolutely look forward with great anticipation to the change in seasons. I have my favorites like everyone else but each change brings just that...Change! A chance to break away from the boredom of the same old, same old and actually count down to the change in wardrobe and home decor. The flowers are what I look forward to the most. Although I love the winter snow I am ALWAYS thrilled to see my little spring bulbs make their entrance as the weather turns warm enough to soften the soil just enough to let them push up and out. What little fighters they are. Give them three warmer days in a row and there they are. I should be more like the Crocus, even the deer leave them alone! Little splashes of color making even the drab browns left by winter look more inviting. It makes me want to get out in the yard and work while it is not too hot and dry. While things are so willing to grow and happy to be alive again...Then I notice all the deer droppings and decide that maybe I will wait a while longer.

My mom used to quote this cute little poem every spring. I still think of it and her as the grass starts to turn green and the flowers start to bloom...

Spring has sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where the birdies is

I heard the bird was on the wing
How absurd,
I thought the wing was on the bird!

4 comments:

Caldwell Family 6 said...

I haven't heard you say that little poem for a long time. I forgot all about it. Amen to Spring! I have been doing some serious spring cleaning, I love it! LoR

Shauna said...

I feel the same way about the seasons here in Utah. After living in Arizona for nearly 10 years, I really began then, to appreciate what we have here! You're a beautiful writer!!

Cambria said...

Oh I love that poem! Every time I hear or think about that or "Oh Patishay" I think of grandma! I think you need to help me with my flowers this year- my first year of having my own yard to make pretty, colorful, and inviting... I was never blessed with a green thumb like you, I'll need all the help I can get!
Love you!

Nancy said...

I sure can hear Aunt Sadie saying this poem! I miss her VERY much!