Tuesday, August 30, 2011

~A LITTLE SEPHA-A LOT OF LOVE~

A few days ago via email, I received from my sweet sis. Chris, some writings from our grandmother, Mary JoSepha (Abbott) Robison. She passed away before I was old enough to remember her, however, my mother made sure that I had a good education in "Sepha". What I missed out on was her sheer strength and iron clad will to make life better for her children. ALL of them.

In an attempt to share what I have with my children and perhaps help them to understand as I do just how much her blood, sweat and tears molded her own offspring, so those same tears also have watched over us. I stand a little taller today after reading these entries knowing that Sepha was MY grandmother. What a lady, and what an example. I wish that life could have been happier for her. I wish that life could have been happier for everyone during those desperate times. They did the best the could and when ever I asked my mom about her childhood...It was ALL good! My mother recalls being without a lot of "things" but she always said that she never felt as if she was "poor". "Poor" was the family down the road.

So, read the lines and then read between the lines for it is there that you will begin to really "feel" her thoughts.

Journal entry...No date, I am thinking that this was probably written after everyone had left home...

Shall I throw it away or keep it? Yes, I can see it is broken across the bottom and one of the three little legs broken off and another one made of plasti-wood.

But...

I received it for Christmas 1936. I shall always remember.
We were just digging out of the year of the depression.
That time was very trying to all people and very disastrous to many
including us. We lost everything we owned. Almost our self respect.
We were trying hard to regain a footing so we could climb back up to level ground
hoping that we could regain some of our losses and pay some of the accumulated debt.

CHRISTMAS, what a memory! 10 children to buy Christmas for and $5.00 to live and household expenses of $18.50 per MONTH.

Lela had $.50 to buy a Christmas present for me. This pink glass bowl was it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure that I could have thrown it away either grandma. Some things just hold too many memories.






4 comments:

Shauna said...

What a nice tribute to your grandmother. Don't you hope that you will leave lessons like this for your own posterity? They were so amazing back in the olden days!!!

Stephanie said...

Wow mom- I would love to hear more!

Chris said...

Thanks you for this entry....I too would love to hear more!!!

Cambria said...

wow, love these mom