Thursday, June 23, 2011

~LESSONS~

My neighbor lost her husband to cancer in January. He was eighty something and had been her constant companion for over 60 years. As I watch her try to live life without him I am determined to learn to be independent and strong. It's not that I think that I could out live my husband but, if I do, I want to KNOW that I can go on, that my world will not stand still and that I will be capable of a life on my own. I mean NO disrespect, I just don't want to cease to exist mentally and emotionally...That scares me more than death itself!

Joey's lessons for growing older: (in no particular order)

Never act your age

You can't help getting older but, maintain a sense of humor about it

Never quit doing what you love

Keep good friends, they will ALWAYS be there in the lonely times

Make sure your grandchildren adore you even if their parents don't

Eat cake, cookies and CHOCOLATE before the diabetes hits (sneak it after)

It never hurts to tell people you love them

Don't ever let your children get away with being mean...They may pass it on to your grandchildren

Smile :) People love to be around happy people

Don't tell

Don't whine...Know one cares

And the wisest words ever...GET OVER IT!

5 comments:

zac, kami & zion said...

You are a wise soul Joey! Thanks for the advice. I think it's right on. I miss all of the wisdom you used to share with me in the gym. Love you!

The Franjesevic Family said...

Love this! You are so wise and such a strong woman Ihave no doubt that you would make it if you had to go through that!

Shauna said...

I love this Joey! I have had these exact same thoughts this passed year! I think I FINALLY know that I could survive without my partner! That thought brings me so much peace!

Stephanie said...

So- the mean thing...hmmm. I don't think I was mean- so where did Ali get it from? Oh wait... I am married- there's someone else who has to assume some responsibility, right?

Cambria said...

Yeah the mean thing... Hmmm...