Saturday, July 11, 2009

~MAPLE MOUNTAIN~



Wow! What a day! I am exhausted, drained and physically overwhelmed...I have spent the day with my friends that are so far above me when it comes to fitness that it is almost laughable but, I gave it a great effort and tried desperately to stay up, not complain to loudly and well at times just BREATH!

Maple Mountain looms just minutes from my house. I have lived here for 23 years and never climbed to the top. After today, I now know why. I have climbed Timp. several times and it is challenging but not bad. Maple is challenging and BAD! It is rocky, steep and possibly a heart attack just waiting to happen...seriously! However, the view and the company you take with you is worth every slip of the foot, every twist of an ankle and every snow field you slide down to your untimely demise (or shorts full of mud. Thank you Kami for coming with me and making me feel better about that wonderfully BAD decision)!


When we finally reached the top, the wind was blowing and the temperature was a bit chilly to say the least...we ate our lunch quickly, took a few pictures and began our decent to a warmer altitude as fast as our sore knees and ankles would allow us. Most of our group liked going up better than coming down...does that make sense to anyone? Perhaps that helps you understand the examples of physical phenomenons I was hiking with today!!!

All in all it was a great day. I will recover in a couple of weeks...okay days and yes, I will do it again. Just wait to ask me for a few weeks! My knees will need that long to forgive me!
P.S.
I found my cell phone! It wasn't lost on the glacier after all...

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Good job Joey!!!!!!!! WOW, what an accomplishment!!! Don't you LOVE to doing something hard ... it's the best!

zac, kami & zion said...

Wow! I haven't been on your blog page in a really long time. I've had fun reading and catching up on your stories. Thanks for enduring the pain of the glacier slide with me! I can't wait for the Timp hike. Hopefully everyone can go on the same day.

Caldwell Family 6 said...

You go woman! I am so impressed! Where was my invite? HAHA I could have been a little mama Kanga with Bella. Can you imagine? : ) Well glad you had a great time! LoR

Cambria said...

this would have been much more fun than boating the other weekend- (not lake powell though, that wins by a land slide :) ) but I wish I would have gone on this one, it look just beautiful. I love you and I can't wait to hike TIMP
lOVE YA